Have you registered the .com and .com.au version of your domain?
If you don't know the answer, we suggest you find out! Alice and Teeka discuss why your business should register multiple domains to ensure no one else can purchase them. Regardless of the size of your business, it's something you should consider to protect your brand
What types of domain should you register?
There are a variety of types of defensive domains you could register. Which domains you choose to purchase depends on the how well you want to protect your brand and your business online. Types to consider include:
- Top-level domain alternatives (e.g. ".com", ".com.au", "net.au" etc.)
- If you're considering operating internationally, other country's top-level domains (e.g. ".co.nz", ".co.uk, etc.)
- Typos or Misspellings of your brand name - Clevvi has a variety of spellings so we're registered domains with misspellings (e.g. "clevii.com.au", "clevvy.com.au" etc.)
- Abbreviations or shortened versions of your brand name (e.g. Coca-Cola has the domain "coke.com.au")
- Terms relating to your business - For example, we have "clevvimarketing.com.au", if you were a builder in Toowoomba, it would be beneficial to "toowoombabuilders.com.au"
At the very least, we recommend registering the ".com" and the ".com.au" domains to protect your business. How many domains you register is up to you to decide how well you want to protect your brand and what are the most suitable domains.
Why register multiple domains?
The most important reason is to ensure no one else buys those domains and secondly if someone enters that domain name in their address bar, it'll still redirect to your website.
It's very easy to purchase domains and it's not very expensive to do so if you haven't registered the domains you want, anyone can purchase them and do whatever they like with them, such as:
- Link to the domain to a competitor website
- Redirect the domain to a malicious website
- Try to sell the domain back to you for an inflated price
Once the domain has been purchased by someone else, there's not a lot you can do if you want the domain to be yours.
Registering a domain is relatively a low cost and only comes up yearly or even less frequently. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to domains.
Worst Case Scenario
Mount Wellington Cableway Company has proposed to build a cable car on Mt Wellington and is facing backlash from protesters over the project. One savvy protester found the company didn't register the ".com.au" version of their primary domain. She registered the domain, then set up a look-alike website very similar to the company's website, but it discussed all the disadvantages of the project. The company was unable to gain ownership of the domain, highlighting the importance of registering multiple domains.
Find out your options
Talk to us and we can register additional domains for your business. If you're not sure what domains to register, we can see what's available and recommend the most suitable domains to protect your brand.