Responsive web design is focused around providing an intuitive and gratifying experience for everyone. It ensures that users have a good viewing experience no matter what type of device they are using.
After the launch of the iPad, a trend was started to build a seperate site for each type of device (tablet, iPhone, desktop etc). However, in the field of Web Design and Development, it is quickly getting to the point where developers are unable to keep up with the release of endless device types, screen dimensions and resolutions.
Responsive web design is the approach where design, layout and orientation will respond according to the user's screen size, platform and orientation. It involves a mix of flexible grids, layouts,images and intelligent CSS media queries. All elements are sized by proportion, rather than pixels. For example, if your web page had two columns, rather than giving it a fixed width, you would give the size in a percentage in relation to the other columns so it is suitable for any device size. Column one might be 60% and column two might be 40%.
Why responsive design is the future of the web
- Most people use mobile devices to access the internet.
- There are no inherent limits on screen dimensions. Responsive site designs are guaranteed to work on any screen size.
- Lower bounce rates: A responsive website provides a much better user experience for the visitor.
- Responsive designs load faster: An adaptive website needs to load all layouts while responsive websites only need to load the one that works for the screen size.
- It is future proof: Since responsive design is not limited to screen size, you don’t need to worry about how your website will look on the next iphone or Ipad that is released.
- Improved SEO: responsive website is an important factor in how google rates the quality of your website. A low scoring website will rank lower on google.
Does your website have a responsive design? Use this free tool to check how your website looks on different devices: Test your website
If you’re not happy with your result talk to us at Clevvi and see what we can do to help!