Wordpress and Joomla are two popular website platforms but they can come with risks and vulnerabilities as Brendan and Ryan discuss in this week's video.
Some of the things that you need to look out for are:
- Out of date WordPress/Joomla Core
- Out of date Extensions, Plugins and Themes
- Plugins and themes from sources and of unknown quality
- Insecure hosting
- Unscrupulous third party developers
- The use of sub-contractors (either directly employed, or by your web developers) that may not know what they are doing
- Insecure passwords (eg. common words, short/simple passwords, the word "password")
- Lack of security plugins
Without the proper technical knowledge and experience to know what to look for and how to protect yourself and your databases, these platforms can be a minefield of potentials vulnerabilities.
If you currently have a Wordpress or Joomla site, we share with you some tips to protect yourself from these risks and hackers. If you're thinking of creating your website with these platforms, hopefully we've given you some things to think about so that you will know what questions to ask your proposed developer.